Sunday, March 27, 2011

Do Backyard Ice Rinks Kill the Grass? Nope


 This year's backyard ice rink project was proceeded by what I call marital moments.  These moments are sometimes precipitated by one spouse starting a discussion with the words, "I have the coolest idea ever!"  If the other spousal unit has concerns about the scope and/or side effects of said idea, you can end up having a marital moment. or moments.  Heh.

The marital moment surrounding the ice rink issue, was primarily related to the lawn.  My spouse had concerns that putting a 6mm of black plastic on the lawn, filling it with water and then allowing it to freeze into three to ten inches of ice to skate on, might be detrimental to the lawn.  If I'm being honest, I'll admit that I had a twinge of worry about that as well.  However I also had internet research!  My internet research told me the lawn would be fine and in the end, that research allowed me to convince my spouse to give it a shot.  It was such a success that he wants to triple the size of it next year.  He decided that before we even knew the status of the lawn.

I really want to have a rink again next year, so I really should have been more aggressive about getting the two layers of plastic drained and off the lawn.  Afterall, it was mostly melted five weeks ago and the snow has been gone for a good three weeks.  We've had some sun.  No doubt it was heating up the black plastic giving the final blows of death to the poor little blades underneath it, right?  Nope.

 I got my lazy behind out there finally yesterday.  I finished draining it all and pulled the black plastic back to finish drying so that I can fold it up for next year.  Here's the yard.  It is not lovely since its still mostly dormant and the soil is still ice cold.  What is also is not is dead!  There is a bit of yellowing in the one area.  This was the wettest, deepest area.  I'm not worried about it.  There are still tons of green shoots in there.  I fully expect it all to be looking lush within the next three weeks.

 So there you have it.  You lovers of skating should feel free to use my images as evidence, should you experience your own marital moments surround the issue of ice rinks and lawns.  My example shows that even with a far amount of laziness, the lawn can still be just fine!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you see the article on ice rinks in the ny times

Stacy said...

I did not see it, but I read it after seeing your comment. I think they painted a picture of making a rink seem like way more work than it actually is. I'm sure there are people out there that do spend that kind of time on it but not us. We had great ice by just shoveling off new snow and adding a skim coat of water after skating. Maintenance was about ten minutes after a day of skating. Of course shoveling it off after the blizzard was a little bit more.