Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No More Hand Pollination

I've decided to stop the hand pollination of the tomatoes. The goal was to get some fruit before July fourth. There is a chance that might happen, especially with sungold. It has fruits that are nearly full size. If it matures quickly after that, mission accomplished!

There are so many baby tomatoes on these plants now, they don't need my help. I'm hoping that if I take a break for a bit, maybe there will be a lull in the yield and I won't be swamped with a zillion fruit all at once. Of course there is still plenty of time for things to go belly up. For one thing, I need more time to tie them up. Tomorrow I have to go get some ten foot stakes. The eight footers are not going to cut it for some of these. Matina will reach the top of that by the end of the week and has also started growing over the top of the yuck bush. Even the leftover plants I put in the wilds (area most likely to be ignored) are taking off. I wish I could get the same thing going on with my peppers and beans. Bean aren't growing hardly at all and the peppers are being eaten by some pest.

Shown here, the balcony tomatoes. Progress since June 3 has been significant.

5 comments:

AnnF said...

I'm a bit surprised that you H.P. beyond the first set of tomatoes. Zucchini or Squash I could see. :) Then again I shake the blossoms of my container tomato by the door nearly every time I come back in the house. :)

Stacy said...

I've been on a mission to get tomatoes here before July 4th. In my mind that makes all the work of the cold frame worthwhile. The lack of bees for so long, early in my season got me started and as soon as I saw it working, I kept on going. I'm done with it now, well except for the occasional shake. :)

islandgardener said...

Something is munching on my peppers, too, and I just got my beans in -- late. But, my tomatoes are doing great. I did an update post today on my blog. They aren't as big as yours, though.

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

The tomatoes are looking great! Something is bothering my peppers too and they seem to be low on magnesium so I'm going to do some foliar watering with a bit of epsom salt to see if that helps. -Jackie

Avis said...

You're so lucky to have tomatoes by the 4th. I'm so far away at this point I don't know when I'll see fruit! The sungold is a cherry, right?