As predicted, the whole permit thing took a month. Really though even without permits it would probably have taken that long to get started due to the bleeping rain every single day since the snow went away!
Finally last week, we got a break. We got back from vacation and the permits were ready, the weather was cooperating and the contractors were ready to go. Time to purge the ugly!
It took about five minutes of ugly purging to figure out that things were going to get a whole lot more ugly before the pretty started.
Excavation went really fast, but those giant piles of clay that got dumped all over my nice soft, lovely black soil, well that smarted. We agonized over cutting some tree roots from the sugar maple, coaxed the dog that different grass was still OK and mostly tolerated a whole lot of mud and dust. Yeah dust. Who knew brick pavers were so dusty?
The bad pain was pretty darn short though. OK the wallet still stings but the ugly fence is out, most of the pavers are in, the seatwall is in and we are starting to get some glimses of what is to come. Yeah yeah, the deck is still rotten, the beds are still filled with giant clay mounts and the dog still is freaking out, but we are definitely making some progress!
I might even go to a nursery today!I'm rather freaking out about the new giant bed that has been created and what to put in it. The back berm bed is infested with weeds. I'm having trouble keeping up with the existing beds and now there are two new ones and more to come! Hopefully when I no longer have to relocate clay piles, that will free up more time for weed control. In the meantime, the plan is lots of landscaping fabric and mulch!