Galinas cherry started giving up her goodness last week. Oh man these little cherries are delicious. Not sweet. Very old tomato flavor. Very rich and very prolific. The plant is huge, well over ten feet and very easy to keep in a reasonable shape.
I'm supposed to be talking about landscaping though so I'll conclude my tomato ramblings with the whine that tomato season is a full three weeks behind, thanks to the horrible spring. Oh well, at least it has started!
The fence is almost done, they are having trouble with one of that latches because they undersized the gate opening a full inch. (Le sigh) . This would normally start me on a contractor rant but its already 85 degrees out there and I have a deck to build.
Focus on the pictures Stacy.. Right
Well this bed is done. It was an interesting bed to do because it is deep shade on the far left and full sun on the far right. The goal was to have four season interest, very low maintenance and some color.
The solution I came up with was was Stained Glass hosta on the far left in chartreuse and dark green, some really glowy double knock out roses in the center and a chartreuse and dark green dwarf cypress with interesting texture in the right. I completed it with some shiny black ajuga, which should be easy to contain in this area near the hosta and then some dark purple salvia for the front. The salvia are just filler. I wanted the stars of the bed to be the glowers. It looks underdeveloped right now, but I think once the hosta gets a bit bigger it is going to be nice. I like the balance the different glowy greens is giving it.
Today the goal is to finish the balcony. It is predicted to be a rather miserable job. It is tropical out there right now and we have learned that while beautiful, Timbertek decking is hot! We spent a good chunk of yesterday putting in the decking boards. Today is the railings which are complex enough that they provide a video to supplement their written instructions.
The next landscaping project at the deck is to landscape this area. I call it the balcony bed. This area is challenging for a whole lot of reasons. The deep shade under the deck, the dog loving this area, the need for a four season view since the foyer looks right on it, the horribly compacted clay that has been tramped down in it, and most puzzling of all, the question of what to do on the end.
The end currently has grass in it. The grass has to go because there is now way to reach it with the mower now that the fence is in. What I want to do is tie this new bed in with the existing back bed. However I don't want to completely re-do the back bed. I also am struggling with the big bulbous blog at the end of a narrow bed that is going to occur if I don't.
I've decided to start on the easy (Ha!) edge of the bed and then work back. Meanwhile every evening I sit out on the new patio with my tea and plot what the plan is going to be for this area.
I'll save the challenges for this area for another day. They are not only aesthetic and functional issues but also mechanical and technical. It's requiring a whole lot of research.That's it for now, the deck calls.