Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesday Treats! Salsa!

Short on time and big on tomatoes? The obvious treat is salsa! I've made it the last two days to have with chips and taco's and chicken. I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients before I snarfed them all down today so you get a picture of the remaining tomatoes. I've been using Carbon, Matina, Dr. Carolyn, Cherokee Purple, Cosmonaut Volkov and Amish paste tomatoes. For a variety of flavors.

My first recipe comes from Jen, a forum friend. It's simple! Chop a bowl of tomatoes, sprinkle with a decent amount of kosher salt and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Drain the bowl most of the way and add chopped cilantro, lime juice, a seeded chopped jalapeno, and chopped red onion. It's fantastically fresh tasting and
can be whipped together in minutes.

This afternoon I roasted the tomatoes under the broiler, a jalapeno, a vidalia onion, a sweet red pepper and a couple of gloves of garlic. Then I chopped it all up, drained the excess juice and seasoned it with bit of cumin, kosher salt, pepper, a handful of cilantro and the juice of a whole lime. Also delicious. I may have some again for breakfast!

4 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I am drooling!

Chicago Garden said...

I'm coming over with the chips. Have had a taste for some salsa all day.

Stacy said...

Too late Chicago. I just made another batch and ate an entire bowl of it. I ate it plain, no chips or anything. I ate it like a bowl of cereal. I have no shame! (But I'm happy!)

Daphne said...

That sounds yummy. Maybe sometime I'll have the tomatoes to do it.