I've decide to expand two beds this spring which will end up being a fairly large project. I've already started this one. The log on the ground is in an area that was grass and separated two large beds. I've decided to combine them to gain some space in sun. My bean tepee will go where the log is.
I won't throw out the sod out. I just dig it up and flip it over. Doing it that way means less fill to purchase and rich soil from the grass. I used to dig in the brick paver edging but now I just set it on top. I've found that after a few good rains, it secures itself but doesn't sink so low that grass grows over it. I still need to get the bump out of the layout though.
The second bed is a much bigger project. It is about ninety feet long and ten feet wide. It is the area under several maples plus a small area of sun closer to the house. This will be a shade bed with mostly hosta's, hydragnea's and other shade lovers. I'll work on this area off and on all summer. The sod will need to be turned, the soil improved, the woodpile relocated and plants established. On the other side of the hedge is weedville USA. I need to figure out some way to try and keep that out of my yard too.
I had about an hour after work to muck around in the garden today. I replanted the annihalated spinach, dug up a pea to make sure they hadn't rotted in the ground. (They're good). I planted a bit of camomille will a giggle towards today's tea baggers and got the rest of the chinese cabbage transplanted in the ground too. Not bad for an hour!